Metallography is the most reliable way of identifying the structure of a given product. Through processes such as cutting, mounting, grinding and polishing, a smooth specimen surface is obtained. The purpose for sample preparation is to obtain the material's true structure, without deformation of any kind. Diamond Tool believes that in order to achieve perfect results in the shortest amount of time, the necessary equipment and preparation methods must be utilized. Even the most advanced preparation equipment will produce poor results if the choice of Metallographic consumables does not match the requirements. Both consumables and machines must be chosen carefully to ensure that the desired goal is attained at each preparation step. Our entire line of Metallographic Machinery are on display to help you make informed decisions. We invite you to click on the links below to visit and explore our product 2017 Metallographic Equipment & Consumables Catalog
Metallographic Grinding & Polshing
- Abrasive Discs, Abrasive Rolls/Strips & Abrasive Belts for Metallographic sample preparation. These products are excellent for coarse or fine grinding of Metallographic specimens and are available in Silicon Carbide (SIC), Zirconia Alumina (ZA), and Aluminum Oxide (ALOX)
- Grinding Wheels (Aluminum Oxide and Silicon Carbide)
- Lapping Films (Plain Backed & PSA Backed) & Polsihing Pads (Used for polishing a wide variety of materials including metals, glass, semiconductor materials, and more)
- Magnetic Mounting System & Grit Grabbers
- Abrasive Powders & Slurries
- Alumina Powders - Diamond Tool 's Alumina Powders are high purity, polishing powders designed for final polishing of most Metallographic specimens. Alumina Powders are sold in standard and deagglomerated versions. The deagglomerated version is put through an extra milling procedure to breakdown agglomerates and is recommended for final polishing. The standard version is recommended for most other applications. The powder is available in .05, 0.3, and 1.0 micron sizes.
- Alumina Slurry - Diamond Tool 's Alumina Slurry is formulated from the same high purity alumina used in our powders. These ready -made slurries are not only easy to use but guarantee consistent performance from lot to lot. The slurry is available in .05, 0.3, and 1.0 micron sizes.
- Colloidal Silica - Colloidal Silica is an excellent polishing solution for producing scratch-free specimens. It utilizes a chemical/mechanical action which delivers perfect finishes on many materials. To achieve these fine finishes, the surface of the material is chemically altered while very fine silica particles ranging from 0.02 - 0.06 micron remove the altered layer. Diamond Tool 's Colloidal Silica is non-freezing and non-drying. The non-freezing characteristic allows the material to be shipped in cold weather without fear of the silica particles falling out of suspension. The non-drying characteristic allows a polishing cloth to be reused after drying out, preventing the dried silica particles from re-crystallizing and forming large scratch-producing agglomerates.
- Colloidal Alumina - Colloidal Alumina is an acidic dispersion which uses a chemical/mechanical action to produce superior surfaces. Outstanding results have been achieved on pure metals such as copper, nickel, tungsten, and beryllium as well as steel and aluminum.
- Fine Polishing Solution - Fine Polishing Solution is a chemical/mechanical final polishing system used for ceramics, sapphire, glass, and ceramic/metal composites. Diamond Tool 's proprietary formulation combines a chemical action
- Diamond Compounds, Diamond Lubricants & Extenders, Diamond Aerosol Spray & Diamond Suspension
Metallographic Mounting Material
- Compression Mounting Materials
- Phenolics - Phenolic material comes in three different colors - black, green and red. Phenolic material is economical, easy to use and cures quickly. Diamond Tool offers phenolic materials in convenient 5 lb containers, but can also be purchased in larger bulk containers as well.
- Lucite - Lucite is a transparent compression mount material, which allows viewing into the specimen. Diamond Tool offers Lucite material in convenient 5-lb containers.
- Diallyl Phthalate - This material is similar in nature to phenolic. It is blue in color, and has a glass filler, which helps provide better edge retention than the standard phenolics.
- Cold mounting materials
- Koldmount - Koldmount is a two part acrylic mounting system, which cures in approximately 30 minutes. Diamond Tool offers Koldmount mounting materials in convenient 1 lb and 5 lb containers.
- Epoxy - Diamond Tool features an epoxy mounting system, which offers excellent edge retention and good abrasion resistance. The epoxy cures in approximately 30 minutes. Diamond Tool offers Epoxy material in convenient 32-ounce containers for the resin, and 16 ounce containers for the hardener.
- Fast cure acrylic - This cold mount, two -part acrylic mounting system has good flow characteristics and good penetration into holes and recesses. The cure time is approximately 5 minutes for this product.
- High performance mounting compound - This high performance-mounting compound has excellent flow characteristics due to its low viscosity. The compound produces sample mounts of high hardness and density with superior abrasion resistance and edge retention.
- Metallographic Mounting Accessories
- Mold release - Diamond Tool offers mold release for hot and cold mounting applications. This mold release is used to help eject the specimen clearly from either the mounting press or mold. Mold release is available in aerosol spray form.
- Specimen clips - Specimen clips.are used to support specimens while the mounting material cures. Diamond Tool offers both plastic and metal clips, which are packed in 100 piece containers.
- Mold cups - Mold cups are disposable molding forms. Diamond Tool offers these mold cups in 1", 1.25" and 1.5" sizes.
Metallographic Sectioning Material
- Abrasive Cut-off Wheels - Diamond Tool offers a wide selection of abrasive Cut-Off Wheels engineered for a variety of materials and applications, however, by combining different abrasive types, sizes and bonds Diamond Tool Cut-Off Wheels can be developed for virtually any application.
- Diamond & CBN Wafering Blades - For applications which require greater precision and thin sectioning capability, Diamond Tool recommends diamond wafering blades. Diamond wafering blades should be used with a precision low speed wafering saw. Low concentration blades are suggested for hard brittle materials and ceramics, while high concentration blades are used with metallics.
- Sectioning Accessories - Diamond Tool Offers Cutting /Lubricating Fluids, & Dressings Sticks for your Metallograpihc Sectioning needs.